Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day One: Time to walk the walk!

Day One

Enough talking the talk, it's time to walk the walk! 

For a little over 2 years now, I have been talking with my girlfriends about how meticulous we all are about ensuring that our children eat only the healthiest of foods. From the moment I was done breastfeeding and my little guy could drink regular milk, we decided to start having home delivery of hormone-free, farm fresh milk. We grew our own vegetables his first year of eating solids so, if he had food, it was from our garden. 

Without a garden of our own now that we live in the city, we continue to buy as close to organic as our budget allows. When we eat meals, his plate is always a balanced portion including protein, fruits, vegetables, and milk or water to drink. Granted, there may be a few more fast food chicken nuggets in his life some busy days now that he's older, however, he has rarely even tasted a french fry and has NEVER tasted soda, as we always chose the fruit and milk (boring white milk, not even the fun chocolate milk) options for him if a quick trip through the drive thru is required. 

The proof of our cautious parenting choices and food selections? My little guy would rather have a piece of fruit than a piece of candy (aside from the occasional dum dum sucker from his "practice grandpa" and a jelly bean or skittle here and there for going potty). He was given his first bag of m&m's by a relative earlier this year, yet he ate only 5 of them and said, "here mommy, I'm done!" I had never seen a child let go of candy before it was finished, let alone my child knows when he's full and stops eating then? What a concept!

All of that being said, for the last couple of years I have joked around and shared the theory with friends that if I would eat only the foods that I would let my son eat and stop when I was full maybe I wouldn't struggle with the weight issues that I do. So, I decided that aside from growth-stunting coffees, teas, and strong cheeses (simply because they are a real food still and I like them and he doesn't ;0)), for the next 30 days I am going to test my theory and eat only foods that I would feed my son and I will stop when I am full. And, as I have been doing Weight Watchers for years, I thought it would be interesting to track the Points Plus values as well. At my current weight, I am allotted 28 points per day, not counting weekly flex points.

So, here goes nothing:

Breakfast:
-Coffee
-A bowl full of fresh organic blueberries (0pts)
-Half of a banana (too ripe for my liking, but since he ate the other half, I had to eat what I feed him) (0pts)

Snack:
-Bag of organic baby carrots (0pts)
-Celery with a skim (less than 1 tsp) of cream cheese (0pts)

Potty treat: 
(his pottying, not mine, but I still celebrated with 4 skittles too! If he can have them, so can I, right? :))
Literally 4 Skittles (1pt)


Lunch:
-Half quesadilla made with 1 tsp real butter (1pt), a Gluten Free Rudi's tortilla (3pts), Chicken (1pts), 1/4 cup Organic Black Beans (1pt), 1/4 cup shredded cheese (3pts)
-20 organic grapes (0pts)
-2 grape tomatoes (we're trying to work tomatoes into the little guy's diet; they have never been his favorite) (0pts)
-6 ounces skim milk (complete with toddler size straw cup!) (1pt)

Momma Only snack:
While the boy had more grapes, I had a teeny piece of the strong cheese I mentioned before as a snack...yum!!
1/2 serving Pecorino Romano cheese (it was such a small serving that it was 0pts even!)

Dinner:
Pot Roast (1 serving) (7pts)
Oven Roasted potatoes (about 1/2 full potato) (5pts) 
Chopped Salad with balsamic vinaigrette (2pts)

I'm excited to say that I made it through Day One and I'm feeling satisfied, excited and energized! Oh, and my little guy had a "treat" of 2 bite size Famous Amos cookies with our Young Adults at church tonight, but momma didn't treat herself...





No comments:

Post a Comment